"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is." Albert Einstein
“In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.”Bertrand Russell
About five years ago, my brother had a seminar in Portland and visited us on his way. In my attempts to prepare for the visit, I decided the main bathroom needed HELP. So I washed walls, painted walls, scrubbed the sink, tub and floor ‘til it was spotless. Then I went to bed to rest. When morning came… I couldn’t move without incredible pain in my lower back. I had never felt such agony. To take a single step, I felt so crippled and rickety. Fortunately time mended the injury but it reoccurs when I do stupid things, like I did yesterday! But it does cause reflection and I’m willing to admit - I take so much for granted. Just to list a few basics with some quotes from others…
-God-
“How quickly we forget God's great deliverances in our lives. How easily we take for granted the miracles he performed in our past.” David Wilkerson
“Day by day we should weigh what we have granted to the spirit of the world against what we have denied to the spirit of Jesus, in thought and especially in deed.” Albert Schweitzer
-Health-
“I have not been that wise. Health I have taken for granted. Love I have demanded, perhaps too much and too often. As for money, I have only realized its true worth when I didn't have it.” Hedy Lamarr
-Freedom-
“Freedom does not come without a price. We may sometimes take for granted the many liberties we enjoy in America, but they have all been earned through the ultimate sacrifice paid by so many...” Charlie Dent
-Family-
“Being taken for granted can be a compliment. It means that you've become a comfortable, trusted element in another person's life.” Joyce Brothers
“… I highly recommend for all the women in the world, even if they're 71, you can never take for granted that he loves you. It's always good to flirt with him. It's a great sport.” Salma Hayek
“Having children made us look differently at all these things that we take for granted…” Melinda Gates
“Awareness requires a rupture with the world we take for granted; then old categories of experience are called into question and revised.“ Shoshana Zuboff
5 comments:
I always take for granted the little things (like good health and a good husband etc.) until things like bad health or hearing about someone's spouse dying or marriages ending etc. makes me remember how blessed I am, and then I lapse back into forgetting. I appreciate the reminders =) Love you!
Love, Lanette
I was feeling sorry for myself as I drove home from grocery shopping. On the way home I saw a woman with crutches... as I drew closer, I realized she had only one leg. So much I have to be grateful for!
Wow, yes definitely! <3
I don't think there is much that I DON'T take for granted. How sad is that? Thank you for the reminders. Why is it so easy to dwell on the 'negative' (which can be positive if we only allow it)instead of regularly reviewing and cherishing our many, many blessings? Love you!
Thanks for reminding me to be more grateful and to appreciate what I have! Lorinda you are such a great example.
Concerning the slippers pattern. I bought it at Quilts Etc. in Sandy.
Post a Comment